According to the Virginian-Pilot, The fire was caused by gasoline that leaked from a motorcycle parked in the home's garage. Heat from a nearby clothes dryer ignited fumes from the fuel.
The event points to steps families can take to protect themselves from house fires and burn injuries. These steps include the following:
- Don't leave the stove unattended when it's on.
- Don't let children use kitchen appliances unsupervised.
- Don't smoke in bed.
- Clean up any spills of flammable liquids immediately and then keep oil- or gas-soaked rags well away from any heat source.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of a home.
- Ensure electrical appliances are in good condition.
- Have an escape plan for getting out of the house in case of a fire.