If you have been involved in an accident with a commercial truck, the first thing you should do is call for medical assistance. There are, however, other steps you should take in order to protect your rights against what is most likely a large commercial trucking corporation. These steps include:
- If possible, take photographs of the scene of the accident. Things you will want to document are weather conditions, road conditions, skid marks or any other debris on the road. Make sure to get photos of the damage to your vehicle and any other property around the location. If you don’t have access to a camera, then try to make notes of all this information.
- Obtain the names and contact information of any other drivers involved in the crash, as well as passengers and witnesses.
- Make sure accident reports are filed with the local police department, as well as the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Never, under any circumstances, speak with the truck company’s insurance carrier, including the claims adjuster, or sign any documents.
- The side-effects of injuries from truck accidents can sometimes take days or weeks before symptoms appear, so it’s important to visit your physician to be completely checked out for any injuries.
- Contact a truck accident attorney, who has experience in dealing with commercial truck company attorneys and insurance carriers, right away to make sure you are protected.