If you or a loved one were seriously hurt in a car accident in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, or anywhere else in Virginia, you probably have questions and concerns. The information below is meant to help and is provided by our team of experienced Virginia Beach car accident attorneys.
The Injury Claim Process
One of the most common questions we get asked by clients injured in serious auto accidents is, "how does this process work?" It's a great question and the outline below should give you an idea of what to expect. However, please understand that every case is different so the process will vary depending on multiple factors including the insurance company the at-fault driver has, your insurance company, the extent of your injuries, and so forth. Nevertheless, as a general guidelines, this is how the injury claim process routinely works:
- We meet for a confidential, no-cost consultation and you decide to retain our law firm.
- We send out letters of representation to the at-fault driver's insurance company and your insurance company
- You seek treatment for your injuries, whether that be through a physical therapist, chiropractor, or other specialist
- Once your treatment is complete, we will request your medical records, lost wages, and other info related to your damages
- We send these documents to the at-fault driver's insurance company.
- The negotiation process will commence with the insurance company making an offer, our firm countering with a different offer, etc.
- If an offer is made that you decide is acceptable, we can proceed with a settlement. If you don't like what's being offered, we will take your case to trial.
For more information about the injury claim process, download our in-depth legal guide on what to do if you or a loved one suffered a serious injury in a car wreck in Virginia. The report will be e-mailed to you in PDF format.
In Addition to Our PDF Guide, Download Our Free Mobile App Designed to Help You Immediately After You're Involved in an Auto Accident
You got hit by another driver. What’s next? That’s where’re our mobile app can help. Some of the app features include:
- Quick call emergency numbers
- Capture and record accident information
- Find the firm’s office location
- Record your proof of insurance
- Track and record injury-related expenses
The mobile app is available for all IPhone and Android mobile devices:
Car Accident Lawyers Based in Virginia Beach and Proud to Serve the Hampton Roads Region
All of the attorneys at Shapiro, Appleton & Duffan are licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The firm's central office is based in Virginia Beach. We also have satellite offices in the following Tidewater cities:
Frequently Asked Questions
- What am I entitled to if I am involved in a car accident?
- Should I use my health insurance if I have been in a car wreck?
- I was in a car accident but my friend was driving. I don't think I should make a claim against my friend. What should I do?
- Additional car accident FAQs
Sample of Case Results
- Motorcycle passengers severely injured in head-on collision with police officer receive $1.5 mIllion after mediation
- $600,000 settlement for car accident victim who had to undergo neck/cervical fusion surgery which resulted in substantial lost income and earning capacity
- Additional car wreck case results
Keep in mind, every case is different, so the case results mentioned above cannot be guaranteed, even if your case sounds similar to one of the cases above.
You also need to know that when you pursue a personal injury claim, it will likely be an uphill battle. The insurance companies will often make the process as difficult as possible because their goal is to reduce or deny any liability for the car accident. This is why having an experienced, well-respected Virginia car accident lawyer is absolutely critical.
Hire a law firm known for taking cases to trial
Car accident insurance adjusters know when they are dealing with an attorney who is just looking for a quick settlement. You don't want that kind of lawyer. For the sake of your case, you should look for an experienced attorney who is actually willing to take your case all the way to trial. In many instances, if you hire a lawyer who has a reputation for actually litigating cases in front of juries, the insurance companies will be more eager to settle.