If you or a loved one have been seriously hurt in an accident involving a commercial truck in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Hampton, Portsmouth, Roanoke, Richmond or anywhere else in VA or the eastern USA, you probably have questions and concerns. The information below is meant to help you during this difficult time and was put together by our team of experienced Virginia truck accident lawyers who handle cases anywhere east of the Mississippi.
Our Virginia tractor trailer accident law firm published an in-depth legal guide on what to do if you or a loved one was seriously injured in an accident involving any commercial truck, van, tractor-trailer, big rig, or 18-wheeler.
When you order the free guide, a PDF copy will be e-mailed to your immediately.
Frequently asked questions
- Are the laws that apply to accidents involving commercial trucks different from the laws that apply to car accidents?
Sample of our truck accident injury case results
- $3.5 Million Settlement for Truck Accident Victim
- $2.4 Million Settlement in Tractor-Trailer Accident that Resulted in a Wrongul Death
- MACK Truck Accident Resulting in Serious Leg Fractures Results in $650,000 Jury Award
Truck Accident Lawyers Based in Virginia Beach and Proud to Serve the eastern United States
All of the attorneys at Shapiro, Appleton & Duffan are licensed to practice law in Virginia and North Carolina, and we team with attorneys in other eastern states when necessary. The firm's central office is based in Virginia Beach. We also have satellite offices in the following local Tidewater cities:
In addition to handling cases in the Hampton Roads region, we have experience handling cases around the Interstate 81 (I-81) corridor in and around Roanoke and surrounding areas like Glenvar, Hollins, Cave Spring, and Salem.
An accident involving a commercial truck is very different from your typical fender bender
The tractor, the trailer, and the truck operator, may all have separate available insurance policies, and often our truck accident injury attorneys analyze our own client’s other insurance sources as well. The trucking industry doesn't make it easy. They often don’t provide the actual operator's name, or what trucking company has the primary insurance.
It's not a fair playing field when a trucking company is involved! We can help...
Established trucking companies often send an investigator to the scene immediately to gather evidence, interview witnesses, and to be sure that the trucking company drivers "clam up" fast, and they do this in order to effectively minimize their liability.This is why you need quality legal representation right away.
Retaining a good truck accident injury lawyer and analyzing all evidence early on in the process can be the difference between a fair and just settlement and having your needs utterly discarded. There are many actions that must be taken almost immediately:
- The collection of any and all forensic evidence including skid marks, debris, vehicle or tire damage, and data systems on the truck are the physical evidence of the accident
- Consulting with forensic experts that are knowledgeable about big rig accidents and accident reconstruction.
- Getting through the web of liability including all available responsible parties and relevant insurance that may be available to you or a family member.
It is crucial to obtain a trucking injury attorney in Virginia that has a thorough and complete understanding of state and federal regulations that apply to trucking companies. It’s also important to understand that tractor trailers can be considered moving, portable businesses, and there are commercial regulations that demand that they be operated responsibly and safely.
For more information about trucking in various states, check out these informational pages: