One person is dead and six others are injured after a car accident in Salisbury, North Carolina Sunday night. A car and an SUV were traveling in opposite directions on Woodleaf Road when the driver of the SUV reportedly lost control of the vehicle and T-boned the car at the intersection of Woodleaf Road and Highway 601.

There were five people in the car and two in the SUV. The woman driving the SUV was arrested and charged with misdemeanor death by vehicle. North Carolina State Troopers indicated that speed was a factor in the crash.

Almost one-third of car accidents deaths occur because of speeding, and speeding is the primary contributing factor in freeway and non-freeway crashes, according to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration. The most unfortunate fact is that, absent some sort of vehicle malfunction, speed is entirely within the driver’s control.

The victims who were injured in this accident and the family of the victim who died may want to bring a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit against the at-fault driver. While monetary compensation can never erase the pain of the accident, it can help cover the costs of the injuries and provide some peace of mind moving forward.

A successful personal injury lawsuit can provide several types of compensation for a victim, including the cost of emergency and ongoing medical treatment for injuries, lost wages, decreased future earnings, and emotional distress. A successful wrongful death claim can also provide compensation to a deceased victim’s family for funeral and burial expenses, loss of future income, and loss of companionship.

Even if the at-fault driver is uninsured, North Carolina provides protection for car accident victims. If you are injured by a driver who is uninsured or undersinsured, your own insurance company will pay for a portion of the damages you would normally seek to recover from the at-fault driver. Every case is different, and your uninsured motorist policy limits impact the amount you can recover, so it’s important to speak to an experienced car accident injury lawyer about your unique circumstances. For more information, read this report on what to do if you are hurt by an uninsured or underinsured driver.