Frequently Asked Questions
Select A Category

Are people with traumatic brain injuries required to disclose their disabilities to employers to whom they are applying for a job or with whom they have a job?

Employees only need to disclose a disability if they need an accommodation to perform an essential function of their job.  Applicants don’t have to disclose a disability on an application or in an interview unless they need accommodation to assist them in the application or the interview.

read more

Are railroad employees covered by workers’ compensation benefits or health insurance coverage when they’re injured on the job?

Typically, injured railroad employees are covered by the health insurance provided to them as a result of the collective bargaining agreement. Some companies maintain specific health insurance policies for injuries suffered by employees on the job, but it is very rare that a railroad employee is covered by workers’ compensation. This means that whenever an employee is being treated for on-duty injuries, he or she needs to make sure that the health care provider knows which health insurance company is providing coverage and reimbursement for medical care.The health care provider should also be given the information off of the health insurance member card for billing purposes. If that information is not provided to the health care provider, the doctor, nurse, hospital or clinic may attempt to file the bills with a workers’ compensation carrier, which will lead to the bills being declined, a delay in payment and, perhaps, a referral to a collection agency on bills, which can all be prevented by having the bills promptly submitted to the proper health insurance carrier.Learn more: As Virginia and Carolina attorneys specializing in FELA and railroad injury law, we offer hundreds of pages of information to help you learn your rights and recover compensation if you’ve been hurt on the job, riding trains or crossing rail tracks.

read more

Are the rules of the road different for drivers of large commercial trucks than for cars?

Yes, the drivers and operators of tractor trailers and other commercial vehicles are required to not only obey the regular rules of the road that apply to all motor vehicles but also certain special federal regulations that apply to trucking. These rules, found in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (49 CFR §§350 through 399), set forth these special laws that govern any semi’s and large passenger vehicles used in interstate traffic. Most states, including North Carolina, incorporate by reference most of the federal regulations that apply to 18-wheelers and other big trucks. Some of these rules involve special qualifications for CDL drivers, hours of service for drivers, and the inspection and repair of trucks. There are also special rules about drug testing and other information which must be gathered when there is a serious injury or death involving one of these big rigs.

read more