Frequently Asked Questions About Defective Products and Dangerous Drugs
- Page 2
What are the different types of mass tort actions?
- Consumer Product Claims: If there were multiple victims killed or injured by a defective or dangerous product, a mass tort action may be filed. Some of the more common types of mass tort actions include contaminated foods, household products, toys, and vehicle parts.
- Environmental Claims: There have been many cases of companies doing things that have consequences to the environment and the people who live in that area. These types of claims often involve victims who suffer long term damages, such as factory emissions, groundwater contamination, and oil spills.
- Medical Device and Pharmaceutical Claims: Although there is a regulatory process these products must go through before they are made available to consumers, many of these products end up in recalls or removal from the market because of the serious injuries the cause.
What are mass torts?
Mass torts are a type of legal action which can be filed when there is more than one incident of negligence or recklessness that causes injury or death to a group of victims. Mass tort actions can be filed in both state or federal courts. Frequently, these cases are consolidated into multidistrict litigation if a judge feels this action is appropriate. Some of the factors the judge will consider include:
- How close do the victims live to each other?
- Were the victims’ injuries similar?
- Was there a common cause of injury?