Distracted driving is one of the most common causes of parking lot accidents. According to a survey conducted by the National Safety Council:
- More than 65 percent of drivers said they make phone calls while they are driving through parking lots.
- Sixty percent surveyed admitted to programming GPS system or apps while driving through a parking lot.
- More than half of the drivers surveyed admitted to sending or receiving text messages while traveling through parking lots. They also said they check their social media
- Just under 50 percent admitted to sending or receiving emails, taking photos, or watching videos while driving through parking lots.
- Fifty-five percent admitted they engage in personal grooming activities instead of giving their full attention to the parking lot they are driving in.