I was hit by a commercial truck and got seriously hurt. Is an injury claim against a trucking company the same as a car accident claim? | Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp

If you were seriously hurt in an accident caused by a large commercial truck or big rig, the process for taking legal action isn’t exactly the same as filing a claim in a more typical auto accident. In a typical auto accident, state law usually applies. When a commercial big rig or 18-wheeler is involved, certain federal laws apply. For example, commercial trucks must comply with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR). These regulations were passed to reduce commercial vehicle accidents and decrease fatalities.  Federal laws mandate that commercial truck drivers and companies carry certain minimum amounts of liability, bodily injury, and property damage insurance coverage. These federal laws and regulations establish certain standards for trucking companies, owners, and drivers. Federal laws concerning commercial truck drivers can be found under Title 49 of the United States Government regulations.  There are also many federal laws that set forth a list of safety regulations a commercial truck driver must follow, including logging requirements and proper weight and vehicle load.  The litigation process against a major trucking company can be complicated, which is why we strongly recommend you reach out to a law firm that has experience in truck accident injury cases.