If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, a Virginia mesothelioma attorney can evaluate your case to determine what type of financial compensation you may be entitled to and who the liable parties may be. At Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp, we understand how overwhelming and devastating this diagnosis can be and will work diligently to get you the financial compensation you deserve.
What Are Mesothelioma Cancers
According to national statistics, there are more than 3,000 new cases of mesothelioma cancers diagnosed each year in the United States, and those numbers are expected to keep increasing. This type of cancer has been linked to exposure to asbestos so many people worked around it for decades. Asbestos was used to manufacture all types of buildings and other types of materials that all of us are around every single day.
The U.S. government banned asbestos in the 1970s because it was discovered that asbestos fibers easily broke off and could be inhaled. These fibers could cause stomach, lung, and other diseases that were all fatal. The outrage, however, is that companies who manufactured and/or used asbestos had been aware of its deadly dangers since the 1920s. Putting profits before human life for decades has now led to thousands of people developing terminal mesothelioma and other fatal cancers.
It has also been discovered that it is not just people who worked around asbestos who are now at risk, but also their family due to the high rate of second-hand asbestos exposure. Workers brought asbestos dust home on their hair, skin, clothing, tools, and even lunchboxes, potentially and unknowingly exposing their loved ones to a death sentence.
What makes these cases even more horrific is what a silent killer mesothelioma is. It can take years for symptoms of the disease to show up, and when they finally do appear, it is too late because there is no cure. It is important to speak with a Virginia mesothelioma lawyer as soon as you have received your devastating diagnosis.
What Are the Types of Mesothelioma
There are three types of mesothelioma a victim can develop:
- Pleural Mesothelioma – This is the most common type of mesothelioma. About 75 percent of victims are diagnosed with this type of mesothelioma. Pleural mesothelioma develops in the lining of the victim’s lungs and is often misdiagnosed as either pneumonia or lung cancer.
- Peritoneal Mesothelioma – About 25 percent of victims are diagnosed with peritoneal mesothelioma. This type of mesothelioma develops in the lining of the victim’s stomach.
- Pericardial Mesothelioma – This type of mesothelioma develops in the lining of the victim’s heart and is often misdiagnosed as either heart failure or heart disease. This is a rare form of mesothelioma.
Contact a Virginia Mesothelioma Attorney Today
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mesothelioma or other type of asbestos-related disease or cancer, it is crucial for you to contact a Virginia mesothelioma attorney from Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp immediately. There is a stringent statute of limitations on filing these claims and that window is not a very big one. Call our office today for a free and confidential consultation.
- Facts About Asbestos Use by Railroads and Mesothelioma Among Railroad Workers
- How Railroad Illness Attorneys Prove On-the-Job Asbestos Exposure Caused Mesothelioma
- What Is the Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA)?