At our Virginia personal injury law firm, we often handle bike accident cases, working to get victims the financial compensation they deserve for their injuries. Virginia has two specific statutes that address the responsibilities vehicle drivers have to cyclists, Code of Virginia § 46.2-818.1. and Code of Virginia § 46.2-839.
The most common types of cycling accidents we see include:
- An occupant of parked vehicle opening door of the vehicle into the cyclist
- Sideswipe by a passing vehicle
- Vehicle rear ends bicycle
- Vehicle turning left at intersection cutting off cyclist traveling in the other direction
- Vehicle turning right and cutting the cyclist off