Here are some of the latest bike crash statistics:
107 bicycle riders were injured on Virginia roads in 2014.
- About one out of 100 traffic accident injuries in Virginia involved a bicycle rider or passenger. Two out of 100 traffic accident fatalities involved a bicycle rider or passenger.
- Six percent of all bike accidents that took place last year in Virginia involved drinking and driving, whether or not the driver was legally impaired.
- Over 75 percent of Virginia bicycle accidents took place during the day - probably because more riders are on the road before sunset. The remaining bike accidents took place at night, at dawn, or at dusk.
- About seven percent of Virginia bicycle accidents in 2010 involved a vehicle defect, such as defective brakes, defective steering, or defective wheels.
- About six percent of 2010 Virginia cyclist crashes involved inclement weather such as mist, fog, rain, and snow.
- Just under ten percent of bicycle accidents involved a vehicle running a red light or stop sign, while 17 percent of the 2010 accidents involved a failure to yield.