Kitty Hawk is known as being “First In Flight’. However, for the hundreds of thousands of people who visit our sandy beaches each year, driving is the preferred mode of transportation. Unfortunately, nothing can ruin your vacation quicker than an unexpected car accident and the potentially serious injuries that often result. The only thing worse is when your collision involves an uninsured driver.
At Shapiro & Appleton, our Kitty Hawk car accident lawyers understand how frightening this situation can be. In addition to the physical pain you may be suffering, there is the emotional stress involved. In a car accident involving an uninsured driver, it is natural to worry about how you will recover the money needed for your medical expenses, property damages, and other losses. The following outlines important steps which can help protect you in this situation.
Your Chances of Encountering an Uninsured Driver In Kitty Hawk
With fewer than 4,000 permanent year-round residents, life moves at a slower pace in Kitty Hawk. For vacationers, part of the appeal is the small town feel of our quiet seaside community. The beach and other local attractions lure roughly half a million people here to visit each year. This massive influx of traffic, much of it condensed over the summer months, makes car accidents more likely to occur.
Long days spent playing in the sun and surf, unfamiliar streets, and the tendency to overindulge while on vacation are all factors that combine to increase the risk of crashes and collisions. Unfortunately, even a minor fender bender can leave you suffering potentially serious injuries. While North Carolina has one of the lowest rates in the country for uninsured drivers, the odds are that roughly one out of every 15 motorists you encounter on the road lacks coverage. In the event an accident with one of these drivers does occur, it can leave you shouldering the financial burden.
What To Do In The Event Of A Car Accident In Kitty Hawk
Whether you are at home or visiting Kitty Hawk on vacation, the actions you take in the aftermath of a car accident can impact your rights to compensation in a claim. Each state has certain legal requirements drivers must follow when a crash or collision involving injuries or property damage occurs. These are outlined in our area under Section 20-166 of the North Carolina General Statutes and include:
- Stop immediately at the scene;
- Notify law enforcement officials;
- Exchange personal identifying information with other drivers, along with driver’s license, vehicle registration, and insurance information;
- Get medical attention for anyone injured at the scene and remain with the victim until help arrives.
Additional steps you can take to protect your rights include noting the names of any witnesses at the scene and using your cell phone to take photos of your injuries and the damage to your vehicle. You should also seek medical attention as soon as possible. Many serious and potentially disabling conditions have symptoms which take days or even weeks to appear.
Get the Compensation You Need To Recover
There are several options you can pursue in seeking compensation for the damages you suffer as a result of a car accident in Kitty Hawk. These include:
- Filing a claim with your own auto insurer: Notify your insurance company immediately after a car accident, even if the other driver is uninsured. As in most areas, automobile insurance guidelines in North Carolina require that all motorists maintain a mandatory minimum amount of coverage. This includes protection against uninsured motorists. Regardless of what state your policy was issued in, this coverage can help cover the costs of a car accident in Kitty Hawk.
- Filing a claim for collisions involving rental cars: If you were driving a rental car, you may be covered under your own policy, through coverage provided by your credit card company, or through supplemental insurance purchased through your rental car agent.
- Filing a personal injury claim: If your own insurance does not cover all of your damages and the other driver is at fault for the accident, you may be entitled to seek compensation through a personal injury lawsuit.
Contact Our Kitty Hawk Car Accident Lawyers Today
At Shapiro & Appleton, getting you the compensation you need to recover after an accident is our number one priority. Whether you are local to the area or live out of state, we can help protect and defend your rights in filing a claim. Call or contact our office online today and request a free consultation to discuss how we can help.