According to Center for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 1.4 million people suffer a traumatic brain injury (also known as a TBI) each year. Of that total, approximately 50,000 victims do not survive due to the severity of the injury. TBI's have differing levels of severity (ranging from mild to severe), but even so-called mild brain injuries can have permanent, life-altering effects on the victim.
Common Causes of Brain Injuries
Studies have shown that falls are a leading cause of TBIs accounting for 28 percent. Car accidents are not far behind accounting for 20 percent of all TBIs. Also, motor vehicle accidents more frequently led to someone being hospitalized for a brain injury or head wound. Other causes of brain injuryies include workplace accidents (e.g., workign for a railroad and getting hit with an object or tool at a rail yard), medical malpractice, defective consumer products, or a danagerous prescription drug.
The Life-Altering Effects of a Brain Injury
A traumatic brain injury can wreak havoc on a victim's emotional and physical well-being, but can also do severe damage to the brain itself. The injury may require years, if not decades, of special medical care and rehabilitation from care facilities (e.g., CareMeridian Las Vegas Nursing Home). The impairments from a brain injury include the following:
- Short term and long term memory
- Mood swings
- Behavioral changes
Cost of TBI Treatment
Benefits of Hiring a Brain Injury Lawyer in Virginia or North Carolina
Five Reasons to Contact Our Virginia & North Carolina Brain Injury Law Firm Today
- Extensive experience - the lawyers at our firm possess over 70 years of combined legal experience
- Recognized as a "Best Law Firm" by U.S. News & World Report (since '10) for personal injury litigation.
- Recognized as "Super Lawyers" in Virginia (an accolade only 5 percent of all practicing attorneys attain)
- A+ rating by the BBB
- No financial recovery, no legal fee policy for all clients