Most everyone knows that drinking and driving is dangerous and that getting behind the wheel while intoxicated is against the law in Virginia. But not everyone understands exactly why drunk driving is responsible for an estimated 30 percent of fatal car accidents or why alcohol has such a dire effect on driving skills.
Let’s take a closer look on what a high blood alcohol level can do to your driving ability:
- Confusion. Those drinking and driving will have difficulty staying alert, more trouble recognizing problems, difficulty reasoning, and more trouble with their memory. This can be especially dangerous at night or when a driver is on an unfamiliar road.
- Slowed Reflexes. A person who is legally unable to drive due to intoxication has more trouble responding quickly to an emergency, steering away from an obstacle, detecting danger, doing two tasks at once, or coordinating muscle movements.
- Impaired Perception. Even one or two drinks can cause those consuming alcohol to have difficulty tracking movements, seeing objects at night, focusing on the road, hearing approaching trouble, or remembering the turns in the road.
- Impaired Judgment. Alcohol doesn’t just affect how your body works or how well you are physically able to drive, it also affects your thinking. A certain amount of alcohol can make users more likely to speed, drive recklessly, or to make other poor decisions while driving.
- Loss of Consciousness. At a certain point, the body can no longer function properly due to alcohol in the blood. When alcohol consumption reaches this point, a person will black out, pass out, and lose consciousness. If the person is behind the wheel of a car, an accident is inevitable.
Drunk driving is a huge issue in Virginia, and far, far too many residents are harmed or killed due to the poor decisions of drunk drivers. At Shapiro & Appleton& Duffan, we sue drunk drivers – both to get justice for the victims and to make sure that these drivers are held responsible for their actions. If you have been injured in a Virginia DUI accident, call us today to schedule a free, private consultation.