While some cities and jurisdictions in Virginia require that those under 14 wear a helmet while riding a bicycle, the state of Virginia does not have bicycle helmet laws for kids. Still, it is imperative that children wear safety helmets that fit correctly to prevent traumatic head injuries.
Here are some quick facts about kids, bicycles, helmets, and head injuries:
- One out of two kids under the age of 14 doesn’t wear a helmet when they ride their bike.
- Three out of four fatal child head injuries involving bikes could be prevented with proper helmet use.
- About half of bicycle accident emergency room visits involve children under the age of 15.
- Teens are more likely to die of head injuries in bicycle accidents than older victims.
- Six out of ten bicycle fatalities involve a traumatic brain injury.
- Thousands of Virginia kids visit emergency rooms across the state requiring treatment for head and face injuries.
- The most common sports-related emergency room injury for children between the ages of five and 14 are bicycle accidents.
- Nine out of ten Americans support a law requiring bicycle helmets for children.
- People under the age of 20 use bicycles as a form of transportation more than people of any other age.
- One of the leading causes of death for pre-teen children is head trauma.
- Almost 100 children under the age of 15 are killed in bicycle accidents across the country each year.
- The number of bicycle accident head injuries each year is more than football, skateboarding, baseball, skateboarding, and ice hockey combined.
- An estimated 13,000 children under the age of 15 are seriously injured on their bikes each year in America.
If your child has suffered a serious head injury in a VA bicycle accident, you may wish to speak with a Virginia head injury lawyer about possible compensation and your options for legal action. Brain injuries can have serious consequences, especially for kids, and making sure that your children’s present and future needs are met in the wake of a traumatic brain injury is key.
- Bike and Bicyclist Personal Injury Laws and Rights in Virginia
- How Cameras on Bikes Are Convicting Dangerous Drivers
- Bike Accidents Involving Children