Large commercial trucks must be properly maintained in order to ensure the safety of every party on the roadway. Unfortunately, inadequate maintenance is a leading cause of truck collisions across the Commonwealth. At Shapiro, Appleton, Washburn & Sharp, our team is here to help if you need a Virginia Beach poor truck maintenance lawyer by your side. We have extensive experience handling complex commercial truck accident claims, and we want to make sure that you recover full compensation for your losses.
Why Choose Shapiro, Appleton, Washburn & Sharp?
- At Shapiro, Appleton, Washburn & Sharp, we regularly handle complex truck accident claims, and our team has secured significant multimillion-dollar settlements on behalf of clients.
- We have earned the respect of other attorneys, our rivals, judges, and the courts throughout our combined 75 years of legal experience.
- We take Virginia Beach truck accident claims on a contingency fee basis. This means clients will not have to worry about paying our legal fees until after we recover the compensation they are entitled to.
Our attorneys have had success securing compensation for those injured or killed as a result of a truck accident. This includes:
- A $2.25 million truck accident wrongful death settlement for the widow and children of a truck accident victim.
- A $650,000 personal injury settlement for chronic back pain caused by a truck crash in Virginia.
How Will an Attorney Help a Virginia Beach Truck Accident Claim?
Accidents caused by poor truck maintenance can become incredibly complex, particularly when it comes to proving liability. An attorney will use their resources to conduct a complete investigation into the case, which will include:
- Obtaining copies of all truck company and driver records related to inspections and maintenance.
- Working with accident reconstruction experts to examine the vehicle and pinpoint the cause of the incident.
- Vigorously negotiating with aggressive insurance carriers to recover total compensation for their client.
Common Issues That Arise Due to Poor Truck Maintenance
When we look at information available from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), we can see language that says, “Every motor carrier shall systematically inspect, repair, and maintain, or cause to be systematically inspected, repaired, and maintained, all motor vehicles subject to its control.”
The FMCSA also says that parts and accessories have to be in safe and proper conditions at all times. Trucking companies are required to regularly inspect and maintain these vehicles to ensure safety on the roadway. This includes inspections performed at least every 12 months, and inspection records have to be kept by the motor carrier for 14 months from the report date.
Some of the most common causes of large truck accidents revolve around inadequate maintenance:
- Truck brake failure
- Steering failure
- Issues with suspension
- Truck lighting failure
- Inadequate side or rearguards
- Issues with the tires or wheels
Who Could Be Held Liable for Poor Truck Maintenance?
In general, the truck company will be held liable if the inadequate maintenance of a vehicle causes an accident on the roadway. Proving liability can be challenging, particularly if the truck driver is also an owner-operator of the vehicle. In some cases, liability for inadequate maintenance may fall to a third-party mechanic or maintenance company.
An attorney will need to get involved to investigate every aspect of these cases. They will determine all possible liable parties and pursue a claim based on the facts of the investigation.
Call a Virginia Beach Truck Accident Attorney Today
If you or somebody you care about has sustained an injury in an accident caused by poor truck maintenance in Virginia, the team at Shapiro, Appleton, Washburn & Sharp is ready to step in and help. We have the resources necessary to conduct complete investigations into these claims to help our clients recover compensation for their medical bills, last income, property damage expenses, pain and suffering damages, and more. When you need a Virginia Beach poor truck maintenance accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by filling out the contact form below or calling us at (800) 752-0042.