Rick was elected chair of the Railroad Law section of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) twice (2013-2014 and 2005-2006) and was named President of the Railroad Accident Division of the National Trial Lawyers Association (NTLA 2013-14). He has written and lectured on evidence law to the AAJ, VTLA, Georgia TLA, as well as to Virginia lawyers.
Rick is also a prolific U.S. inventor and designer of consumer wheeled products, holding 18 US patents and numerous foreign patents.
Read what some of Rick's clients say about him
- "AV" Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized as a Virginia "Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics Magazine (since '10)
- Recognized "Best Lawyer" by U.S. News & World Report (since '10)
- 10.0 perfect rating on Avvo, a lawyer rating service
- Board Certified by the National Board of Legal Specialty (ABA Accredited)
- Selected to the "Top 100 Trial Lawyers" of Virginia, by the American Trial Lawyers Association
- Chairman of the American Association of Justice Railroad Section (two terms)
- Executive Committee Member for the Railroad Trial Lawyers Association
- Selected to Who’s Who in American Law (2009)
Presentations & Speeches
- Rick has lectured nationally and locally before lawyers with the AAJ, VTLA and GTLA, for Virginia CLE on evidence law and railroad/FELA law, and published an article entitled "Using Medical Evidence to Maximize Personal Injury Case Damages, in the VA Trial Lawyers Law Letter Vol. 21, No. 1 (2009).
- Invited Presenter: AAJ Seminar on Railroad Release Law (June 2009), and has been an invited speaker at a number of national and regional lawyer seminars.
- Invited Presenter: AAJ Seminar on Corporate Represenative Depositions (February 2012).
- Invited Presenter: "End Distracted Driving", Jamestown High School in Williamsburg, VA (January 2013).
Prominent Reported Legal Decisions
- Ratliff v. Norfolk Southern Railway Co., 2009 WL 649268 (March 12, 2009) (Link to WV Supreme Court Opinion)
- Payne v. CSX Transportation, Inc., No. 2-231-07, (Dec. 27, 2013) (Link to TN Court of Appeals Opinion)
- Railroad Health & Safety; a Litigator’s Guide, Co-Author, 72 Am. Jur. Trials, p.1 (West).
- Using Medical Evidence to Maximize Personal Injury Case Damages, The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Vol. 21, No. 1, 39-46 (2009).
- Statistics Evidence in Injury Cases: Excluding It or Infusing It in Direct Exam?, The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Volume 23, No. 2, 3-6 (2012) (Link to article here).
- Author and Editor for three health and safety blogs on The Legal Examiner.
- West Virginia
- Washington, D.C.
- North Carolina
- Has litigated cases throughout the eastern U.S. with co-counsel under pro hac vice admission.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Numerous Federal courts
- State bar licensed in VA, WV, NC, and Washington, D.C.
- Rick regularly publishes articles on injury law topics for the Legal Examiner.
- Rick is one of the only plaintiff's personal injury lawyers in the United States who is an attorney-entrepreneur and USA inventor, holding over 17 US patents on folding wagons/products, and various international patents, and Shapiro has successfully licensed one of his "folding wheel" inventions to Radio Flyer wagons.
- Rick is also a writer, whose book "Faceplant: Chronicles of Facebook's True Tales & Epic Fails" (Richard N. Shapiro) was published by Outskirts Press and is distributed by Amazon and by Barnes & Nobles (search: "Faceplant book").
- Member of the Norfolk-Portsmouth and Virginia Beach Bar Associations; Virginia State Bar; Virginia Trial Lawyers Association; American Association For Justice (Chairman, Railroad Section, 2005-2006); American Trial Lawyers Ass'n, Academy of Rail Labor Attorneys.
Rick's Practice Areas Include
- FELA/On-the-Job Railroad Accidents, Diseases such as Mesothelioma from Asbestos Exposure
- Car Accident Injuries
- Wrongful Death Accidents
- Trucks or Tractor Trailer Accidents
- Surgical Errors, Medical/Hospital Malpractice
- Head Wound/Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Aviation/Mass Transit Injuries
- General Personal Injury Claims
- Boat Accidents
- Product Recalls and Prescription Drug Side Effects