If you or a loved one were seriously hurt in a car accident in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Hampton, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Newport News, or anywhere else in Virginia, you probably have questions and concerns. The information below is meant to help and is provided by our team of experienced Virginia Beach car accident attorneys.
The Injury Claim Process
One of the most common questions we get asked by clients injured in serious auto accidents is, "how does this process work?" It's a great question and the outline below should give you an idea of what to expect. However, please understand that every case is different so the process will vary depending on multiple factors including the insurance company the at-fault driver has, your insurance company, the extent of your injuries, and so forth. Nevertheless, as a general guidelines, this is how the injury claim process routinely works:
- You and an auto accident attorney with Shapiro, Appleton & Duffan meet for a confidential, no-cost consultation and you decide whether you want to retain our firm to handle your car accident case.
- If you decide to hire our firm, we will immediately take action and send out letters of representation to the at-fault driver's insurance company and your insurance company
- You seek treatment for your injuries, whether that be through a physical therapist, chiropractor, or other specialist. The objective is for you to focus on getting back to 100 percent.
- Once your treatment is complete, our legal team will request your medical records, lost wages, and other info related to your damages
- We send these documents to the at-fault driver's insurance company.
- The negotiation process will commence with the insurance company making an offer, our firm countering with a different offer, etc.
- If an offer is made that you decide is acceptable, we can proceed with a settlement. If you don't like what's being offered, we will take your case to trial.
For more information about the injury claim process, download our in-depth legal guide on what to do if you or a loved one suffered a serious injury in a car wreck in Virginia. The report will be e-mailed to you in PDF format.
Track Record of Success Handling Serious, Complex Car Accident Injury Cases
- $3.5 million jury verdict for teacher seriously injured by drunk driver in Newport News, VA
- $1 million settlement in Virginia Beach car accident
- $600,000 settlement for car accident victim who had to undergo neck/cervical fusion surgery which resulted in substantial lost income and earning capacity
- Additional car wreck case results
DISCLAIMER: Keep in mind, every case is different, so the case results mentioned above cannot be guaranteed, even if your case sounds similar to one of the cases above.
Frequently Asked Questions Answered by Our Team of Norfolk & Va Beach Car Wreck Lawyers
- What am I entitled to if I am involved in a car accident?
- Should I use my health insurance if I have been in a car wreck?
- I was in a car accident but my friend was driving. I don't think I should make a claim against my friend. What should I do?
- Additional car accident FAQs
Auto Accident Attorneys in Norfolk and Va Beach and Proud to Serve the Hampton Roads Region
All of the attorneys at Shapiro, Appleton & Duffan are licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia. The firm's central office is based in Virginia Beach. We also have satellite offices in Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, and Hampton.
Hire an auto accident injury law firm known for taking cases to trial
Car accident insurance adjusters know when they are dealing with an attorney who is just looking for a quick settlement. You don't want that kind of lawyer. For the sake of your case, you should look for an experienced attorney who is actually willing to take your case all the way to trial. In many instances, if you hire a lawyer who has a reputation for actually litigating cases in front of juries, the insurance companies will be more eager to settle.