I suffered an adverse reaction from the prescription drug medication provided by my doctor. Do I have a case? | Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp

If you receive the wrong medication for a condition or the wrong combination of medications and suffer an adverse side effect or injury, a medical malpractice claim could potentially be brought against the doctor who prescribed the medication. Claims could also be brought against the hospital where the treatment occurred and/or the pharmacist who filled the prescription drug.

A medical malpractice claim in this situation could be based on a breach of the standard of care. In addition, you could file a claim against the pharmacy for the medication error. For example, if the injuries were caused by the manufacturing or marketing of the drug, you may be able to file a claim against the pharmaceutical company and/or retailer.

About the editors: The motto at Shapiro & Appleton& Duffan law firm is simple –“All we do is injury law.” We hope you were able to find the answer to your injury query. If not, please review our Virginia Accident Lawyer FAQ Library for additional information. If you’d like to speak to an actual attorney about your potential injury claim for free, please contact our office at (833) 997-1774.