Welcome to Shapiro, Appleton & Duffan, a firm comprised of experienced car accident lawyers and personal injury lawyers serving Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Hampton, Portsmouth, Newport News, Suffolk, Williamsburg, and throughout Virginia (VA).
Ethical, Trustworthy Representation
You’re probably visiting us because you, or someone close to you, suffered a serious injury or wrongful death. Searching for an ethical, trustworthy lawyer makes sense and we're here to help. But keep in mind, we don’t accept every case. Our team of Virginia Beach car accident lawyers only accept clients who are seeking ethical, trustworthy representation.
FAQs Answered by Our Team of Virginia Beach Car Accident Lawyers and Chesapeake Injury Attorneys
We understand you probably have a lot of questions about the legal process, what you can expect to recover through a personal injury claim, what to tell the insurance company, etc. We are a resource of information for you. Our team of attorneys provide free legal advice by answering frequently asked questions and by publishing downloadable legal info guides. Here is a sample of our FAQs:
- What type of financial damages can I try to recover?
- Should I give the insurance company a recorded statement?
- How can I get paid my lost wages and other expenses?
Reputation Matters When Negotiating a Settlement in Your Injury Claim
The insurance companies and claims adjusters consider who they are up against when determining whether to offer a sizable settlement for a car accident, truck accident, or motorcycle accident injury claim. That is where we can help. Our firm is known throughout Virginia, North Carolina and the Eastern U.S. as a Tier 1 “Best Law Firm” (according to U.S. News & World Report, for personal injury and railroad worker injury law in the Norfolk-Virginia Beach region). We also possess an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and a 10.0 "Superb" rating on Avvo.
Professional Accolades and Accomplishments
- Recognized as Virginia "Super Lawyers" in Law & Politics Magazine (since '06)
- "AV" Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Editors of a nationally-recognized web site, Legal Examiner (a publication dedicated to advancing public safety issues).
- Our track record of large, multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements, including a record-setting $60 million (w/ interest) jury verdict and a $2.5 million wrongful death jury verdict.
In addition, attorneys at our firm are respected in the legal community and leaders in the law. For example, Kevin Duffan is a legal analyst for ABC Channel 13 News offering his advice on breaking news, legal issues and controversies. Also, Ed Booth is co-chair of the editorial board of the Virginia Trial Lawyer’s Association Journal. As you can see, our attorneys not only know the law, but are thought-leaders in the law as well.
Types of Cases Our Virginia Beach Personal Injury Attorneys and Norfolk Accident Lawyers Handle
- Car accidents & wrecks - Whether they occur on Interstate 64 (I-64), Interstate 264 (I-264), Virginia Beach Boulevard, or anywhere else in Virginia, car wrecks can cause serious harm requiring weeks or months of rehabilitation and missed time from work. Our team of Virginia Beach car accident lawyers can help.
- Truck accidents & wrecks – Getting hit by a tractor-trailer, big rig, or 18-wheeler on Interstate 81 (I-81) in Roanoke, Interstate 664 (I-664), I-95, or anywhere else can be a life-altering incident. Large commercial trucks cause significant damage to smaller vehicles. In addition, large trucking companies employ large teams of defense lawyers and claims adjusters. Level the playing field by hiring one of our experienced Virginia truck accident lawyers.
- Wrongful death – Losing a loved one is heartbreaking and can be especially traumatic if the loss is sudden and unexpected (like losing someone in an accident). Let us help take some of the burden off your shoulders so you can focus on the grieving process.
- Traumatic brain injuries – Serious accidents can result in you or a loved one suffering a traumatic brain injury or serious head wound that may result in memory loss, speed loss, and/or the inability to use your arms or legs. Our Virginia brain injury law firm has significant experience handling traumatic brain injury cases. In fact, our firm (along with co-counsel) obtain a record-setting jury verdict involving a client who suffered a TBI.
- Medical malpractice – The bond between a patient and doctor is sacred since it is based on trust. When a doctor, nurse, or other medical professional makes a preventable mistake during surgery (e.g., severed ureter, cut bowel, intubation injury, etc.) it not only causes physical harm, but is a violation of trust. Our firm has handled numerous medical malpractice and doctor negligence cases.
- Railroad worker injuries – If you or a loved one was hurt while working for a railroad like Norfolk Southern, CSX, Burlington Northern, etc. you may have a claim under the Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA). Our Virginia railroad injury law firm has decades of experience representing injured trainmen, switchmen, engineers, conductors, etc. In fact, our railroad injury law firm was founded by a former railroad worker who got hurt on the job, then decided to go to law school and represent fellow railroaders.
- Railroad worker diseases – Whether you were diagnosed with mesothelioma due to asbestos exposure or developed lung cancer after breathing in diesel exhaust fumes for years, we can help. Claims brought by railroad workers based upon a life-threatening disease also fall under the FELA.
- Defective products and dangerous drugs – If you or a loved one was harmed by a consumer product or prescription drug, you may be able to file a claim against the manufacturer for your injuries, time missed from work, and pain and suffering.
- Other serious accident and injuries – Whether you were seriously hurt in a motorcycle accident, boat accident, slip and fall, or suffered an electric shock, our team of Virginia Beach personal injury attorneys are here to help. We have decades of experience handling a wide array of injury cases.
Proud to Serve the Hampton Roads Region
The firm's primary office is in Virginia Beach at the intersection of Diamond Springs Road and Northampton Boulevard. We also have satellite offices in the following cities in Hampton Roads: Norfolk, Suffolk, Portsmouth, and Hampton. We also have a satellite office in Kitty Hawk, NC.
Representing Clients Across Virginia & Beyond
Even if you're not close to one of our Hampton Roads' offices, we will come to you even if you're in Abingdon, Alexandria, Arlington, Big Stone Gap, Blacksburg, Charlottesville, Chesapeake, Danville, Emporia, Falls Church, Fairfax, Franklin, Harrisonburg, Isle of Wight, Lynchburg, Manassas, Martinsville, Newport News, Petersburg, Radford, Richmond, Roanoke, Williamsburg, Winchester, and so forth. We also cover all areas of the Eastern Shore, including Accomack, Bloxom, Cape Charles, Eastville, Exmore, Greenbackville, Machipongo, Mappsville, Melfa, Nassawadox, Onley, Tangier, Temperanceville, Wachapreague, Wallops Island and so forth.
All of our attorneys are licensed to practice in multiple states
All of our auto accident attorneys possess multi-state licensure. This means each attorney can practice law in two or more states. We handle personal injury, medical malpractice and wrongful death cases in Virginia (VA), West Virginia (WV), North Carolina (NC), South Carolina (SC), Kentucky (KY), and Washington, D.C.