Types of evidence that show the existence of a health provider’s or health care facility’s duty of care to a patient include
- Patient records generated by the provider and kept by the facility
- Bills issued to the patient
- Prescription orders issued by the provider
- Insurance claims that name the provider or facility
- Procedural notes kept by the provider
These kinds of paperwork, even when they are all digital, establish the existence of a relationship between a patient and a provider or facility. Once such a relationship exists, the provider or facility has a duty of care.