You're probably here because you or a loved one was seriously hurt by a defective product, or a dangerous prescription drug or medical device. We are here to help. This page is meant as a resource for you and was developed by experienced product defect attorneys based in Virginia and North Carolina. If you want to speak to an experienced attorney directly, fill in the quick contact form on this page or call our office at 1-800-752-0042. If you cannot get through due to high call volume, please leave a message and an attorney will return your call promptly.
Getting Results for Clients Injured by Defective Products, Drugs, and Medical Devices
- $2.5 Million Jury Verdict for Family of Chesapeake, Va Man Who Died from a Lawn Mower Fire - An 88-year-old resident of Chesapeake, Virginia (VA) was riding on his Ryobi lawn mower cutting grass and trying to get his backyard to look nice for a family visit. Suddenly, without warning, Mr. Wright's mower exploded engulfing him in flames. The fire was so powerful that Mr. Wright died just moments after the explosion. Mr. Wright's wife heard the explosion and saw her husband covered in flames. She ran outside and tried to put the fire out, but the flames were so strong and Mr. Wright was covered in so much fuel that all she could do was watch in horror. A defective product wrongful death lawsuit was filed by firm attorney Rick Shapiro and co-counsel. The case went all the way to trial and lasted for five day. Eventually, the federal jury returned a $2.5 million verdict in favor of the widow of Mr. Wright. The jury determined that Ryobi was negligent in manufacturing the fuel tank and fuel line and that they owed a duty to Mr. Wright, along with thousands of other Ryobi customers, to warn of discovered defects.
- $750,000 Settlement for a Factory Worker Who Has His Thumb Amputated from a Defective Device - A worker who had his hand mangled and later needed to have his thumb amputated because a trailer slipped of a jack while he was working around the equipment received a settlement from the maker of the defective parts.
- $375,000 Settlement from Injury Casued by Defective Fiberglass Stepladder - Our client was an electrician conducting electrical work inside an AT&T-owned building outside Richmond, Virginia (VA). While on an eight-foot fiberglass stepladder, our client suddenly was sent sprawling to the concrete floor due to a fracture or split in the lower portion of the support side of the stepladder. He crashed to the ground suffering a major fracture to the tibial plateau of his left leg. Our client ultimately underwent significant internal fixation surgery with screws and plates to repair the multiple fractures to his tibial plateau, a second surgery to remove hardware, and a third surgery to explore the knee joint. Our team of defective product injury lawyers filed suit against the manufacturer and ultimately resolved the case at mediation.
- Our firm assisted dozens of clients who suffered serious, debilitating injuries from Depuy faulty hip implants.
- Our team of experienced Virginia and North Carolina defective product injury lawyers continue to assist dozens of women stricken with ovarian cancer after long-term use of talc powder products such as Johnson & Johnson baby powder and Johnson & Johnson shower-to-shower.
What Makes Our Virginia Beach & Norfolk Personal Injury Law Firm Different
Our firm is known for personal service. Have you ever felt like just a number? Part of a cattle call? You won’t feel like that with the attorney at our firm. We decided years ago that it was important to distinguish ourselves from the competition. We have worked very hard at building our reputation and pride ourselves on it. When you choose an attorney to handle your case, think about this - most big firms handle thousands of cases and you will be just one of thousands. Most big firms have paralegals that handle the bulk of the work involved in an MDL (multi-district litigation), Class Action or product liability case.
This is what makes our firm different - you will have an actual lawyer fighting for you and someone who you can contact when you have questions or concerns. Our firm does not operate like most firms. With us, you will be treated like a person. We will know your name. We will know what happened to you. We will tell you what is going on with your case whenever you want to know.
Litigation can be scary. There is a reason why certain people do well as lawyers and certain people would rather not ever see the inside of a courtroom, much less address a jury. Every lawyer here enjoys a courtroom. We are not afraid of a fight, and trust the jury system.
We may not advertise on TV, but that is a choice we made consciously. We're not focused on fancy commercials with explosions and paid celebratory endorsements. Our work speaks for itself - check our case results and our lawyer achievements. If you want to be represented by someone who knows you and someone who cares, call us. You won’t be disappointed.
Important Information on Specific Defective Drugs and Devices
- Drugwatcher follows the medical and pharmaceutical industry with the goal of informing and warning the public about dangerous drugs and medical devices.
- Roundup Weed Killer Linked to Cancer - A study published in February 2019 found that exposure to glyphosate, the main ingredient in Roundup weed killer, increased the risk of developing cancer by 41 percent! This study was a meta-analysis conducted by Science Direct that included a 2018 study published by Agricultural Health Study, along with five other case-control studies. These studies all arrived at a shocking conclusion - there was a "compelling link” between glyphosate herbicides and an increased risk of developing non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL), a form of cancer.
- Talcum Powder Linked to Ovarian Cancer - Over 20 medical studies linked talc powder to ovarian cancer. In fact, these studies reveal that women who have used talcum powder were 33 percent more likely to develop ovarian cancer than women who did not use this powder. Click here to read our firm's in-depth special report on the shocking connection between the long-time use of talc powder products like Johnson & Johnson baby powder and Johnson & Johnson shower-to-powder and women being diagnosed with ovarian cancer.
- Essure Birth Control Device - Researchers have found that women who used the Essure birth control device had 10 times as many operations to fix problems associated with the device as compared to women who simply opted for surgery, according to a story from NBC News. Data was analyzed from over 8,000 women who had an Essure device implanted and compared them to over 44,000 women who had standard surgery to block or "tie" their fallopian tubes. It turns out women who got the Essure device implanted routinely ended up in the operating room, anyway. The risk of having a second procedure was 10 times higher in women who got Essure than among women who had a laparoscopic procedure done, according to the NBC News article, which references the study published in the British Medical Journal.
- Duodenoscope Superbug Infection - The FDA revealed that it received 142 reports since 2010 of infection problems related to duodenoscopes. At least 30 patients with duodenoscope-related CRE infections have died, including 11 in an outbreak that began in 2012 at Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle and another 15 in a 2008 outbreak at an unidentified hospital in Central Florida.
- IVC Filter Side Effects - An IVC filter is a wire device implanted in the largest vein in the body to help catch blood clots. That large vein is known as the inferior vena cava (IVC). This vital vein carries oxygen-depleted blood from the lower half of your body to your heart. Typically, IVC filters are implanted in patients who are unable to utilize blood-thinning medications. Unfortunately, these filters are causing serious health problems such as intense chest pains, deep vein thrombosis, filter embolization, and other serious side effects. In fact, the FDA received over 900 "adverse event" reports from patients involving IVC filters. As a result, the FDA issued a safety communication to the general public about the issue of temporary filters not being removed as soon as the patient was not at risk of a pulmonary embolism.
- Yaz and Yasmin Birth Control Pills - Side effects include gallstones, stroke, blood clots, symptoms of depression, a breast lump, sudden numbness, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance, chest pain, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, and sweating.
- Fentanyl/Duragesic Pain Patch – Accidental overdose deaths despite having prescription patches. Side effects include constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, dry mouth, exaggerated sense of well-being, headache, indigestion, loss of appetite, nausea, nervousness or anxiety, redness or discomfort on skin where patch is applied, sleeplessness, stomach pain or discomfort; sweating, and vomiting.
- DePuy Artificial Hip Recall - Health risks from the high failure rate of these metal-on-metal hip implants include soft tissue damage, bone loss, metal particles or debris in the body, severe pain, inflammation, difficulty walking, joint stress, anxiety, and the possibility of painful "revision surgery" to remove the defective hip and replace it with another.
As you can see, these drugs, devices and supplements are rife with terrible complications, side effects and can even be life threatening.
Defective and Faulty Product Claims
In addition to dangerous prescription drug issues, our faulty product lawyers help people who were the victims of defective consumer products like faulty car brakes and steering columns, children's strollers and toys, and so forth. Thousands of consumers are seriously injured every year by products that have not been properly manufactured, inspected or tested to insure that they will not cause serious injuries or even loss of life or death. If you are seeking information about a product defect or an unsafe, dangerous consumer product, check out this page.