I think I have a wrongful death claim in Virginia as my wife died from injuries in a car crash, but how does a court calculate loss of comfort, sorrow, mental anguish and solace? | Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp

When a relative or loved one dies because of an accident or injury, it is never possible to fully replace this loss. However, a successful wrongful death case will make some amends for the loss by awarding an amount of money that is “fair and just.” It is virtually impossible to precisely how much sorrow or mental anguish a survivor experiences. The facts of each case will influence the amount that is determined to be fair and just. For example, the nature of the relationship in the family is taken into account. In addition, the length of marriage and the kinds of love, help and support your spouse gave you are important considerations.