My car was smashed up in the car crash that was not my fault, what can I expect from the insurance company for the other driver on that part of the case? | Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp

When a person in Virginia is involved in an automobile accident with injuries there are really two separate claims that arise. The first is for the personal injury which is the kind of work that our law firm focuses on. This case is to get you back compensation for your injury, your medicals, your lost wages, your pain and suffering, your permanent injury and everything that’s happened to you as far as injuries from the moment of the impact through the time that the case is resolved.

The second aspect of the situation where there’s been a car crash is the property damage claim to get the insurance company for the at-fault driver to pay to fix your car and get you a rental car while your car is repaired. To the extent that your car is totaled then the insurance company is responsible to give you a check for the fair market value of your vehicle and a rental car until such time as they give you the check. Normally, if the fault is clear, the property damage part of the case works itself out fairly easily without attorney involvement. We will try to point you in the right direction to help you find a solution to any questions you have about the property damage aspect of the case. When dealing with the insurance company it’s okay to sign a release for the property damage as long as it is limited to that. If you have any questions about the handling of your property damage you can ask your personal injury lawyer to help you.

About the editors: The motto at Shapiro & Appleton& Duffan law firm is simple –“All we do is injury law.” We hope you were able to find the answer to your injury query. If not, please review our Virginia Accident Lawyer FAQ Library for additional information. If you’d like to speak to an actual attorney about your potential injury claim for free, please contact our office at (833) 997-1774.