Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 800-752-0042
Phone: 757-460-7776
Shapiro & Appleton

What steps should I take if I believe a loved one is being abused or neglected in a nursing home?

There are several measures that can be employed if a family member or a friend believes such neglect is occurring in a nursing home. 

Step 1 involves making a complaint to the regulatory board or agency in the state where the nursing home is located.  Such a complaint can trigger a review by the state to determine minimum compliance with state promulgated regulations governing the care of residents in the nursing home.  

Step 2, a civil lawsuit can be filed on behalf of the family or resident if neglect is suspected, which will then be adjudicated and resolved through the civil court system.  

Finally, if the abuse is of such a severe nature that criminal negligence may be at issue, a criminal complaint can be brought through contact with the local district attorney’s office.

Avvo The Best lawyers in America Super lawyers Best Law Firms US News Verdicts and Settlements AV LexisNexis

Live Chat