According to statistics from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, last year, almost 100 victims were killed in motorcycle accidents. This was an almost 20 percent increase in the number of motorcycle accident deaths from 2020. Other national statistics reveal just how dangerous motorcycle accidents are to motorcyclists: In 30 percent of these crashes, riders sustain injuries serious enough to be incapacitating or lethal. Without any protection around them, it is no wonder the rate of serious personal injuries and deaths is so high.
What Are the Most Common Injuries Motorcycle Accident Victims Suffer?
Since there is no barrier around a person on a motorcycle that acts as a buffer between them and another vehicle when there is a motorcycle crash, there is often some type of injury suffered. Some of the most common we see here at our Virginia firm include the following:
- Head and neck injuries – It is critical that all riders wear a DOT-approved motorcycle helmet. However, even with a helmet, many riders still sustain injuries to their head and neck. Concussions, hemorrhaging of the brain, and other types of brain injuries are fairly common. Even if a rider is fortunate enough to walk away from an accident, they should still have a doctor check them out since symptoms of brain injuries are often delayed.
- Organ and other internal injuries – Internal bleeding and organ damage are also injuries that can have delayed symptoms but can be fatal if not detected in time. They are also common motorcycle accident injuries.
- Spinal cord injury – The spinal cord plays a critical role in how signals get to our limbs and other parts of the body from the brain. A spinal cord injury can be devastating, resulting in paralysis, loss of mobility, and loss of sensation. It is also a common motorcycle accident injury.
- Road rash – When a rider is thrown from their motorcycle in a crash, they will usually slide along the road. This causes a “rash” on the skin. Road rash is painful and often causes complications, like infections, that can inhibit overall recovery. Many victims end up needing skin grafts but are still left with permanent scarring.
Contact a Virginia Personal Injury Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be facing high medical bills and other financial difficulties. At Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp, our Virginia motorcycle accident attorneys understand how overwhelming these cases can be. Our law firm has successfully advocated for many motorcycle accident clients, getting them the financial damages they deserved. Call our law firm today to schedule a free and confidential consultation and find out what legal recourse you may have. We also offer a free motorcycle injury guide which offers information that you may find helpful.
- Drivers, Look Twice to Save a Motorcyclist’s Life
- Every Motorcycle Crash Puts the Rider at Risk for a Traumatic Brain Injury
- Thoughts on Wrongful Death Cases Following Motorcycle Crashes in Virginia