While anyone involved in a vehicle accident can suffer serious personal injuries, motorcycle accidents can be especially tragic, even in cases where the victim survives. Motorcycle accident injuries are often catastrophic in nature, with long-term, if not permanent, health issues and extended recovery periods. Medical expenses, loss of income, and other damages can be physically, emotionally, and financially devasting to the victim and their family.
Motorcycle Accident Stats
The effects of motorcycle accidents are so far-reaching that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have classified them as a national public health issue. The following are some of the facts the CDC considered when making this classification:
- The number of people killed in motorcycle accidents each year continues to rise at an extremely alarming rate. In fact, since the year 2000, there has been a frightening 85 percent increase in motorcycle accident deaths. Motorcycle accident fatalities happen almost 30 times more frequently than they do in passenger vehicle accidents. It is estimated that almost 90,000 motorcyclists are hurt in crashes each year.
- Motorcycle accidents do not just affect the lives of the victims. According to the CDC, the yearly economic burden placed on society because of motorcycle accident deaths and injuries is an astronomical $12 billion. These costs occur in a number of ways. Consumers pay higher insurance premiums and taxes to cover the costs of medical and other expenses caused by motorcycle accidents. Many of the charges from motorcycle accident hospitalization and rehabilitation are paid by Medicaid. There is also a loss of tax revenue because of victims’ inability to work, even if this is only a temporary issue while the victim recovers.
Contact a Dedicated Carolinas Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be facing high medical bills and other financial difficulties. Our North Carolina motorcycle accident attorneys understand how complex these cases can be. The legal team at Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp has been advocating for victims and their families for more than 35 years and uses all available resources to get the best possible outcome for our clients.
Our personal injury law firm has successfully advocated for many motorcycle accident victims, including a $975,000 insurance settlement for one client who sustained numerous personal injuries when a commercial delivery truck, attempting to make a left-hand turn at an intersection, pulled directly into the path of the motorcycle, causing the collision. Our client suffered rib fractures, a pubic rami fracture, and a hip fracture which required a left femoral head implant surgery. He was in the hospital for three weeks and then underwent a course of physical therapy and rehab thereafter.
We also offer a free motorcycle injury guide which offers information that you may find helpful.
- Motorcycle Accident Injury Guide
- Tips to Avoid Left-Hand Turn Motorcycle Crashes
- Frequently Asked Questions About Motorcycle Accidents