One of the most common types of car crashes is a T-bone or side impact collision. This happens when one vehicle slams into the side of another vehicle, typically at a 90-degree angle. The victims in these crashes often end up with severe injuries. Many victims do not survive their injuries. This is because there is little to no protection, such as an engine or trunk, to protect from the other vehicle. According to national statistics, more than 8,000 people die in T-bone collisions every year.
One of the main causes of side impact crashes is negligence. When these crashes occur, it is up to a Virginia car accident attorney to prove the other driver was at fault in order to collect damages for the injured victim or victims.
- Contact the police right away. It will be very helpful for your case if your car accident attorney can present a police report that cites the other driver’s fault in the crash.
- Make sure to exchange information with all driver’s involved in the crash, including their name, address, phone number, license, registration, and insurance information.
- Get the contact information for all witnesses, including passengers in the other vehicle.
- Take photos of all damage to vehicles, injuries, landmarks, skid marks, street lights, signs, debris, and any items which could have hampered visibility. You also want to document any other factors that may have contributed to the crash, such as road construction and the weather. You want to make sure to do this right away in order to avoid losing any of this evidence which could help bolster your case.
- Do not speak with the other driver’s insurance company. You can speak with your attorney and your insurance company. Let your Va. injury attorney deal with the other driver’s insurance company for you in order to protect your claim.
Contact a Virginia Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been injured in a side impact collision – or any other type of car accident – caused by the negligence of another driver, contact a skilled Virginia car accident attorney to find out what recourse you may have against the at-fault driver. Our Va. injury firm has successfully represented many injured victims in obtaining the best financial outcome for their case and we are available to meet and discuss the circumstances of your accident and advise you as to what legal options you may have.