Car accidents can leave individuals with significant injuries and extensive property damage. Not only does this lead to pain and suffering, but there will surely be unexpected expenses. At Shapiro, Appleton & Washburn, we are here to help if you need a Virginia Beach car accident attorney by your side. If you have been injured by the negligent or intentional actions of another driver, we have the resources necessary to investigate complex vehicle accident cases. Our attorneys know what it takes to stand up to aggressive insurance carriers to ensure you recover full compensation.
Why Choose Shapiro, Appleton & Washburn for a Car Accident Claim?
- At Shapiro, Appleton & Washburn, we have practiced law since 1985 and have returned major settlements and jury verdicts on behalf of clients who need compensation the most.
- We practice a client-focused approach at this firm, which means we take the time to listen to the goals and needs of every person who comes through our door for help.
- Our attorneys are respected by our peers, our rivals, and by the courts in Virginia. This respect was earned over decades, not just years.
We have recovered significant settlements and jury verdicts on behalf of car accident victims in Virginia, including:
- A $3.5 million jury verdict award with punitive damages for a drunk driving accident victim.
- A $675,000 insurance settlement for a client despite them having the pre-existing degenerative disc disease.
How Will an Attorney Help a Virginia Beach Car Accident Case?
Car accident cases are not always straightforward, which is why an attorney is so often necessary to ensure clients recover maximum compensation. An attorney can get involved early and use their resources to fully investigate what happened. This will include:
- Uncovering all evidence needed to prove liability (photos in video, eyewitness statements, accident reports, etc.).
- Ensuring their client is fully evaluated by a trusted medical professional who can assess the injuries.
- Vigorously negotiating with the insurance carrier to recover maximum compensation.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Virginia Beach
Data from the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles indicates that there were 105,600 total vehicle accidents reported across the Commonwealth during the latest year of data we have on file. Out of these incidents, there were 847 fatalities and 52,668 total injuries. Examining the data more closely, we can see that there were 419 crashes reported in Virginia Beach, which resulted in 13 fatalities and 282 injuries.
Vehicle accidents occur due to a wide variety of reasons in Virginia Beach and across the Commonwealth. However, some causes of crashes are more prevalent than others. This includes accidents caused by:
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions
- Alcohol- and drug-impaired driving
- Driving while distracted by phones or other devices
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Failing to obey stop signs or traffic signals
Type of Compensation Available for a Virginia Beach Car Accident
There may be various types of compensation available to vehicle accident victims in Virginia Beach. The attorneys at Shapiro, Appleton & Washburn work diligently to recover both “special” and “general” damages on behalf of car accident clients.
- Special damages. This is often referred to as economic damages and revolves around the types of compensation a car accident victim can receive for their calculable losses. These are calculable because we can add up bills or receipts for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Prescription medications or medical devices
- General household out-of-pocket expensive
- Physical therapy or rehabilitation
- Property damage expenses
- General damages. This is also referred to as non-economic damages. Non-economic damages are more immeasurable losses a car accident victim is likely to sustain. These are immeasurable because there are no direct bills or receipts to calculate a crash victim’s:
- Levels of physical pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Emotional and psychological distress
- Loss of consortium for a spouse or family member
There is no set amount of money for how much compensation will be paid to a crash victim. There are various factors that can affect total compensation amounts, including the severity of the injuries, the level of property damage, whether or not a victim has to miss work, the level of a victim’s pain and suffering, and more.
The vast majority of vehicle accident claims will be resolved through a settlement with insurance carriers in Virginia, with only a small number of cases going to an actual personal injury trial. Regardless of how your case is settled, it is crucial to work with trusted medical and economic experts who can properly calculate total expected losses.
Time Limit for Filing a Car Accident Claim in Virginia
It is crucial for vehicle accident victims in Virginia Beach to file these claims promptly. The Virginia personal injury statute of limitations is two years from the date an injury occurs. Virginia Beach crash victims have to file a claim within this two-year timeframe, or they will not be able to recover the compensation they need.
However, insurance carriers have very strict reporting deadlines, often within a day or two after a crash occurs. If a vehicle accident is not reported to an insurance carrier promptly, the carrier could delay or deny the claim altogether.
How to Pay for a Car Accident Lawyer
At Shapiro, Appleton & Washburn, our team takes Virginia Beach car accident cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that our clients will not have to pay any legal fees until after we recover the compensation they are entitled to. They will not be responsible for paying any upfront or out-of-pocket costs while their case is ongoing.
Call a Virginia Beach Car Accident Attorney Today
If you or somebody you love has sustained a car accident injury caused by the negligence of another driver in the Virginia Beach area, you can count on the team at Shapiro, Appleton & Washburn to have your back. We have decades of experience handling complex injury claims, and we know what it takes to stand up to aggressive insurance carriers to help clients recover full compensation for their losses. We will not hesitate to use our resources to investigate every aspect of your claim. When you need a Virginia Beach car accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by filling out the contact form below or calling us at (800) 752-0042.