The Orlando, FL father of an infant who died after being given the product Simply Thick has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Georgia manufacturing company and the hospital where the baby was born. The product is a thickening gel used to help premature infants with swallowing difficulties.
The baby was born 27 weeks premature at Florida Hospital in Orlando. He was given Simply Thick in the hospital and packets of the product were sent home with his parents when he was discharged in late March 2011. On April 8, 2011, the parents rushed the baby to the hospital after he had developed severe diarrhea and became very ill. He died the same day. An autopsy determined that the baby had developed necrotizing enterocolitis, (NEC), a life-threatening condition that attacks intestinal tissue.
Just one month after the baby’s death, the FDA issued a warning that Simply Thick may cause NEC in infants. In June 2011, Simply Thick, voluntarily recalled all the product. According to a report in the Orlando Sentinel, even before their original warning, the FDA found numerous deficiencies when officials inspected SimplyThick's plant. At the time the warning was issued, they were aware of 15 cases of NEC, including two cases where the children had died. By September 2011, they knew of 22 cases of NEC, with seven children now dead.
The baby in this Orlando lawsuit had a twin sister. She was not fed Simply Thick and is alive and thriving today according to her family. Had her twin brother not been fed the contaminated product, the parents claim he would be thriving right along with her.
The Virginia Injury Lawyer Perspective:
How tragic this story is. Our hearts go out to this family, and all the families who lost their children. As parents, we feel helpless when our children our sick and suffering and there is nothing we can do. Even the parents whose babies survived the contaminated product had to endure watching their children suffer.
These parents trusted that whatever the hospital was giving their child was safe. They trusted that the company manufacturing this product that was used to help save children wouldn’t instead kill them, as their lawsuit alleges. Any parent who has lost a child due to product contamination should consult with a Virginia injury attorney to help hold those accountable for their pain and loss.
Florida Hospital, Orlando FL
Potentially Helpful Info:
If your child has been injured by a dangerous or defective drug, you may be able to hold the company that manufactured and marketed the drug accountable by filing claims for compensation. Read this article to begin learning about your legal rights and options when a faulty product leads to injuries.
Have Questions? Check Out Our Firm’s FAQs: