Safeway is enhancing its efforts to ensure that pharmacy protocols are followed after a six-week pregnant woman was given the wrong medication at one of its stores. Mareena Silva was given a prescription for Methotrexate–a drug used to treat cancer–instead of the antibiotic ordered by her doctor at a Safeway in Fort Lupton, Colorado (CO). The prescription was filed under “Maria” Silva.
Methotrexate was used in the 1950s for abortions, and the drug has been known to cause birth defects. Silva was taken to the hospital after ingesting the medication.
Representatives at Safeway apologized for the error and offered to pay the victim’s medical expenses. They are also “redoubling our efforts to ensure that all our pharmacists follow the strict policies and procedures we have in place to prevent medication errors,” as per a statement issued by the Safeway.
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, medication errors account for one death every day and 1.3 million injures every year in the United States.Medication errors can occur at any time in the prescription delivery process, and must be avoided at all costs.
Doctors, pharmacists, and technicians have a professional responsibility to ensure that their patients are protected from these all-too-common mistakes. If you feel you were harmed by a dangerous drug, contact our firm to go over your case. While we can’t guarantee we can take your claim, we are more than happy to discuss it with you and advise you what to do.