The North Carolina Vacation Rental Act (VRA) can give you grounds for filing a personal injury claim. Succeeding with such a claim would require you to show that you suffered harm because the landlord failed to comply with building codes, did not repair faulty electrical equipment or neglected to keep the residence or its grounds in good condition. The types of cases that can be brought under the VRA include slips and falls, electrical shock/electrocution and drownings.