Thanksgiving is the “official” kick-off of the winter holiday season. This means time spent with family and friends, festive gatherings and parties, dinners out, and work celebrations. These events often involve the serving of alcohol. This also means that the risk of being involved in drunk driving accidents spikes. If you have been injured in an alcohol-related crash, make sure you have a Virginia Beach car accident lawyer advocating for you.
‘Tis the Season
The holiday season is often associated with social gatherings, parties, and festivities where alcohol flows freely. While responsible drinking can enhance the holiday experience, excessive consumption, and impaired judgment can lead to catastrophic consequences when individuals choose to get behind the wheel while under the influence of alcohol.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the period between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day witnesses a significant increase in drunk driving incidents. Just in the week between Christmas and New Year’s, there are approximately 25,000 drunk driving accidents nationwide, resulting in the deaths of more than 200 people. Thousands more are left seriously injured.
The Devastating Consequences
Drunk driving accidents during the holiday season can have life-altering consequences for individuals and their families. Here are some of the devastating outcomes:
- Loss of lives: The most tragic consequence of drunk driving accidents is the loss of innocent lives. Inebriated drivers are less likely to react swiftly or make sound decisions, leading to collisions that can result in fatalities. Speak to a Virginia Beach wrongful death lawyer to learn more.
- Injuries and disabilities: Survivors of drunk driving accidents often suffer from severe injuries that can lead to long-term disabilities, including spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and loss of limbs.
- Emotional trauma: The emotional trauma experienced by victims and their families can be profound and long-lasting. Coping with the aftermath of a drunk driving accident can be an arduous journey marked by grief, guilt, and anger.
- Legal consequences: Drivers who are caught driving under the influence face legal repercussions, including fines, license suspension, and even imprisonment. These legal consequences can disrupt lives and result in financial hardship.
- Financial burden: Medical bills, rehabilitation costs, and vehicle repairs can place an immense financial burden on victims and their families. Insurance premiums may also skyrocket after a drunk driving accident.
Contact Our Law Firm for Legal Assistance
Unfortunately, no matter how many precautions you may take to stay safe, there are far too many other drivers on the road who fail to do the same. If you are injured in a drunk driving accident, a Virginia Beach car accident attorney can evaluate your case and determine what legal options you may have.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a drunk driving accident, contact Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp to schedule a free consultation. Our firm has been successfully advocating for injured clients since 1985, like the $200,000 insurance settlement our firm secured for one client who suffered a broken hip and a fractured vertebra when a highly intoxicated driver crashed into his car.
- Types of Virginia Drunk Driving Accidents
- Alcohol-Related Crashes and Teen Drivers
- Watching Out for Drunk and Drugged Drivers