Virginia law allows family members to pursue compensation if their loved one’s death was the result of the negligent or reckless actions of another party or parties. Examples of incidents that could justify a wrongful death claim include:
- Defective or dangerous product
- Fatal assault, battery, or because of other crime
- Fatal vehicle accident cause by a driver who exhibited careless, drunk, or reckless behavior.
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse or negligence
- Slip and fall or other premises liability accident on private property
- Work-related death