Sustaining an injury can lead to significant setbacks for a victim and for their family members. Not only will an individual have to deal with pain and suffering, but they also have to handle incoming medical bills and various other expenses that arise from the injury. At Shapiro, Appleton, Washburn & Sharp, we are here to help if you need a Virginia Beach personal injury lawyer. If you or a loved one has been harmed due to the actions of someone else, we will investigate your claim and help you recover full compensation for your losses. We are not afraid to stand up to aggressive insurance carriers or at-fault parties, and we will take your case all the way to trial if necessary.
Why Choose Shapiro, Appleton, Washburn & Sharp?
- At Shapiro, Appleton, Washburn & Sharp, our team handles only personal injury law claims, which has given us the experience necessary to understand what the defense will likely do and how these cases will proceed.
- Our attorneys have achieved more than $75 million in total jury verdicts and more than $100 million in combined settlements and jury verdicts for clients.
- We take each claim on a case-by-case basis, which means we take the time to get to know every client that comes through the door.
Personal Injury Case Results
- Record-Setting $60 Million Jury Verdict (including interest) for Brain Injured Gas Station Worker involved in Train Wreck
- $21 Million Settlement for Child’s Brain Injury Caused When Truck Rear-Ended Virginia Beach Family’s Car
- $8.6 Million Jury Verdict for Railroad Worker Wrongful Death Case
- More Case Results
General Information about Personal Injury
Accidents and resulting injuries can happen in a number of places and with a variety of different injuries such as:
- Amputation (Amputated Leg, Hand, Arm, Finger or Thumb)
- Amusement Park Accidents
- Electric Shock and Electrocution Deaths
- Explanation of Workers Compensation vs. Negligence Suits Against “Third Party” companies
- Factory Injuries Involving a Crane, Boom, or Forklift
- Paralysis (Pariplegic, Quadriplegic, Loss of Feeling)
Types of Compensation Available for Your Personal Injury Claim
There may be various types of compensation available to personal injury victims in Virginia Beach. Our injury lawyers work diligently to recover economic and non-economic damages on behalf of every client we work with.
- Economic damages. This is also referred to as special damages for a personal injury claim and is meant to compensate a victim for calculable losses they sustain. This can include, but is not limited to, the following:
- All medical bills arising due to the injury
- Lost wages if a victim cannot work while they recover
- Any household out-of-pocket expenses incurred
- Property damage expenses associated with the incident
- Non-economic damages. This is also referred to as general damages after a personal injury occurs, and this is meant to compensate a person for more immeasurable losses they sustain in these incidents. We say immeasurable because there are no direct bills or receipts that can be added up to calculate a survivor’s:
- The severity of the injury
- How long it takes a person to recover
- The amount of time away from work
- Property damage expenses
- The level of a victim’s pain and suffering
An attorney will work with trusted medical and economic experts to fully evaluate the client and help properly calculate total expenses.
Why You Should Consider Contacting an Attorney
Our personal injury law firm in Virginia can help you with these and all types of serious injury cases. Even if you are unsure about who is liable for your injury, we can help answer your questions and help you understand the legal aspects of your accident.
Our firm has experience representing clients throughout Hampton Roads including Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg and in other eastern states.
Since we only handle personal injury cases, these out-of-the-ordinary injuries are no surprise to us and we can represent you ethically and successfully in Petersburg, Richmond, Roanoke, Emporia, Harrisonburg, Radford, Charlottesville, Martinsville, Danville, Franklin, Lynchburg, Winchester, Alexandria, Arlington, Falls Church, Manassas and Fairfax (we actually handle cases throughout the eastern USA also).
What About Partial Liability?
Virginia is one of the few remaining states in the country that operates under a contributory negligence system. This means that any person who sustains an injury must be without fault for the incident in order to recover compensation for their losses. Even if an individual is 1 percent responsible for causing an accident that led to their injuries, they could be prevented from recovering compensation altogether.
This is vastly different from how other states handle issues of partial liability. In most other states, there is a comparative negligence system in place where a person can receive reduced compensation if they are partially at fault for the incident. That is why it is so important for individuals to work with a skilled personal injury lawyer in Virginia Beach who can counter any accusations of fault.
Time Limit to File a Personal Injury Claim in Virginia Beach
Any person who sustains an injury in Virginia Beach needs to know that they have a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit. The personal injury statute of limitations in Virginia is two years from the date an injury occurs. If an injury victim fails to file a lawsuit within this two-year timeframe, they will likely lose the ability to recover the compensation they are entitled to.
Those who sustain an injury also need to be aware of deadlines put in place by insurance carriers. The vast majority of personal injury claims in Virginia Beach are resolved through insurance settlements. However, insurance carriers have very strict reporting deadlines that must be adhered to.
How to Afford a Personal Injury Lawyer
The attorneys at Shapiro, Appleton, Washburn & Sharp understand that injury victims often struggle financially, particularly as they are awaiting a settlement from an insurance carrier or jury verdict. That is why we handle Virginia Beach personal injury claims on a contingency fee basis. This means that our clients will not have to worry about paying any legal fees until after we recover the compensation they are entitled to. If we do not win the case, our clients will not have to pay us a dime in legal fees. Additionally, clients will not have to pay any upfront or out-of-pocket costs while their case is ongoing.
Contact a Virginia Beach Personal Injury Lawyer Today
If you or somebody you care about has sustained an injury caused by the careless, negligent, or intentional actions of another individual in Virginia Beach, the team at Shapiro, Appleton, Washburn & Sharp is standing by to help you today. We have extensive resources at our disposal, and we want to make sure that you recover full compensation for your losses. Let us investigate every aspect of your claim so we can get you on the path to recovery. When you need a Virginia Beach personal injury lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us at (800) 752-0042.