Injuries that occur at railroad crossings are often devastating. These incidents can leave individuals with long-lasting disabilities, and they are often fatal. At Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp, our team is here to help if you need a Virginia railroad crossing fatality attorney. We have extensive experience handling complex wrongful death claims throughout the Commonwealth, and we know what it takes to help families and estates recover compensation for their losses. We will investigate your incident, determine liability, and vigorously negotiate on their behalf.
Choose Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp for Your Case
- The team at Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp has spent more than 75 years of combined legal experience helping personal injury clients in Virginia and throughout the U.S.
- Our attorneys have earned the respect of our peers, rivals, and the courts as a result of our efforts to fight for our clients.
- We take Virginia railroad crossing accident claims on a contingency fee basis. This means the clients will not have to worry about paying us a dime in legal fees until we recover the compensation they need.
How Will an Attorney Help a Railroad Crossing Death Case?
It is crucial to work with an attorney if you have lost a loved one in a railroad crossing accident. These claims can become incredibly complicated, particularly when railroad companies push back and resist paying compensation. An attorney can investigate the entire incident in order to prove liability. This will include uncovering evidence to show the negligence of the railroad or track operator.
An attorney will also work with trusted economic and financial experts who can fully calculate the total expected losses the family is likely to incur as a result of the death. Using this information, a railroad crossing lawyer in Virginia will vigorously negotiate with railroad companies and insurance carriers to recover maximum compensation.
How Do Railroad Crossing Fatalities Occur in Virginia?
Over the last few decades, railroad crossing collisions have continued to decline. This has also led to a significant decline in railroad crossing fatalities and injuries. But these incidents still occur. During the latest reporting year, we can see that there were approximately 2,200 total railroad crossing incidents that led to 294 fatalities and 836 injuries.
These incidents happen in a wide variety of ways, often due to the careless or negligent actions of a railroad or entity that operates the crossing. Some of the main causes of these incidents include:
- Visual impairments for a driver. Motorists should always be able to see approaching trains.
- Inadequate warning systems. Trains and some railroad crossings are required to have adequate warning systems so drivers know that there is a train in the area.
- Inconsistent grading. Railroad crossings are supposed to be as consistent as possible with the surrounding roadway. The gradient refers to the steepness of the road, and if the gradient changes too much, this can lead to accidents at the crossing.
Call a Virginia Railroad Crossing Fatalities Attorney Today
If you have lost somebody you love in a railroad crossing accident in Virginia, reach out to the team at Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp for help as soon as possible. We have the resources necessary to handle every aspect of a train collision, and we want to make sure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to. When you need a Virginia railroad crossing fatality attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by filling out the contact form below or calling us at (833) 997-1774.