It’s that time of year when children all over the country have sent their list to Santa and are now “patiently” waiting for Christmas Eve to arrive and find out if they were on Santa’s naughty or nice list. For parents, this often means searching store after store, in-person and online, for that one gift that their child – and it seems every child in the country – “just has to have.”
It’s also the time of the year that the consumer advocacy group World Against Toys Causing Harm (WATCH) releases its annual list of the 10 worst toys of the year. This year marks the 50th year that WATCH has released its “10 Worst Toys” list.
The types of personal injuries these toys have the potential of causing can be devastating. Our Virginia personal injury attorneys have seen firsthand the tragic injuries children have suffered from dangerous or defective products and are dedicated to making sure our clients get the financial justice they deserve.
This year, WATCH has zeroed in on the following toys as some of the most dangerous on the market today:
- Cocomelon Musical Learning Watch – Potential for battery ingestion injuries
- Disney Raya’s Action & Adventure Sword – Potential for blunt force and eye injuries
- Li’l Woodzeez Tickle-Your-Taste-Buds Bakery – Potential for choking injuries
- Zeus Lion – Potential for ingestion/aspiration injuries
- Dingray Musical Bath Toy – Potential for Ingestion and Choking injuries
- Ooze Labs Chemistry Station – Potential for chemical-related injuries
- Bunny Rabbit Cuddly Pillow – Potential for suffocation
- Pop’n Fidget Spinners – Potential for choking injuries
- Nerf Pro Gelfire Mythic Blasters – Potential for eye and facial injuries
- Black Panther Wakanda Battle Claws – Potential for eye and facial injuries
Reducing Injury Risks
When you are shopping for toys, there are some steps you can take to minimize purchasing faulty products and the risk of injuries:
- Read labels. This is where information on the age group the toy is made for, as well as the correct way to use the toy.
- Make sure that there are no parts of the toy that are small enough for your child to put in their mouth, which puts them at risk of choking.
- Don’t purchase toys that shoot objects into the air.
- Make sure the toy isn’t too loud, putting your child’s hearing at risk.
- Make sure stuffed animals are well made, with all seams and edges tight and secure.
- Don’t purchase toys that have stuffing or small pellets which could cause suffocation or choking.
- Make sure all electric toys are Underwriter Laboratories (UL) approved.
- Before purchasing the toy, check the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) website to see if it has been recalled.
Let Our Firm Help
If your child has an suffered injury as a result of a defective product, we recommend contacting a Virginia personal injury attorney as soon as possible. With the assistance of an experienced, aggressive, and proven attorney, the negligent manufacturer will be held responsible for the injuries and damages the faulty product caused.
If you are interested in discussing your options with a Virginia defective product attorney, contact Shapiro, Washburn & Sharp today. Our legal team has more than 30 years of legal experience advocating for injured victims and their families and will work diligently to get you the personal injury insurance settlement or award you deserve. It is important to be aware that personal injury claims involving children can be complex and if not addressed properly, parents could risk the opportunity to obtain the compensation their child is entitled to.
Call our office today to set up a free and confidential case evaluation.