Hot Topics in April
- April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month. This is a growing safety problem, especially for younger drivers who seem unable to part with their cell phones, even for a moment. We must work to reduce instances of distracted driving. It is incredibly dangerous. In fact, attempting to text and drive is equivalent to driving while intoxicated.
- Do you have an “umbrella” insurance policy? If so, you need to read the fine print. The alleged broad coverage may have some glaring holes that could hinder your ability to make a full financial recovery after a serious accident. Check out an article Rick Shapiro recently wrote for the Legal Examiner on this issue.
- If you were hurt badly in an auto accident, you may be tempted to try and negotiate with the other driver’s insurance company to reach a settlement. Be careful. Many insurance companies try to take advantage of people who do not have an experienced personal injury attorney. Read this article to learn more.
Law Firm News
- We take pride of providing effective, quality representation. That is why we are so proud when a former client provides our firm with a testimonial. Check out this testimonial from a client who was represented by new firm attorney, Ed Booth.
- Our firm was featured in the top-10 jury verdicts of 2015, not once, but twice. Yes, 2015 was an amazing year and we are working tirelessly to make 2016 even better.
- Firm truck accident attorney Randy Appleton is on the Advisory Board of the Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America (APITLA). This is a national association of committed lawyers who have joined together to help eliminate unsafe and illegal interstate trucking practices. Randy have extensive experience representing folks hurt in trucking accidents. For example, he represented a child who suffered a brain injury after being involved in a tractor-trailer crash. Randy worked to get a $5.5 million settlement with a structured annuity that could result in the total settlement amount reaching $21 million. Randy also secured a $1.25 million arbitration award in a North Carolina wrongful death case involving a large truck.
- Kevin Duffan (pictured left) continues to serve as a legal analyst for ABC Channel 13 News. Kevin provides legal analysis on a wide array of issues. For example, he spoke about Governor McAuliffe's amendments to an electric chair bill. He also spoke about the tragic death of Virginia State Trooper Chad Dermyer and how it relates to the investigations he was a part of before his death. Kevin plans to discuss, in an upcoming news segment, hidden charges in medical billing and what the consumer/patient can do to protect themselves.
Harmed by a Defective Product?
Our firm believes an informed public is a safer public. That is why we want to ensure you are aware of some products and medical devices that pose potentially serious health hazards to you and your loved ones.
- If you or a loved one use talcum powder on a regular basis around the genital area, stop immediately. Why? Because over 20 medical studies have linked talc powder to ovarian cancer. In fact, these studies reveal that women who have used talcum powder were 33 percent more likely to develop ovarian cancer than women who did not use this powder.
- Power morcellators are a commonly used device during procedures like hysterectomies. However, it turns out that the use of this device can result in cancer spreading into multiple parts of your body. In fact, the FDA estimates that approximately 1 out of every 350 women undergoing gynecological surgery with a power morcellator may have undetected cancer cells and the morcellator may wind up spreading those cells through a woman’s body.
- Clinical studies indicate that women who have used the Essure birth control device were 10 times more likely to require a surgical procedure to correct problems. Check out our in-depth article to learn more.
Random, Weird Laws
- In Iowa, it is against the law for a man with a moustache to kiss a woman in public.
- In Rhode Island, riding a horse over any public highway for the purpose of racing, or testing the speed of the horse, is illegal
Be sure to friend us on Facebook and
Follow us on Twitter at #HSinjurylawyer
Firm Contact Info
Virginia Beach Office: 1294 Diamond Springs Rd., Virginia Beach, VA 23455
(Satellite offices in Norfolk, Portsmouth, Hampton, and Suffolk, VA along with a satellite office in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina)
"Believe you can and you're halfway there."