E-News first reported that Michael Jackson died at age 50 following cardiac arrest. Later reports from CNN confirmed that this horrible news was true. At first no one knew how the young pop legend could have suffered cardiac arrest given his recent preparation for his upcoming tour.
As days passed, rumors came to the surface that Michael Jackson’s cardiac arrest was caused by medical doctors who were providing his pain medicine at his home. When he died, Michael Jackson had a cocktail of anti-depressant and mood drugs in his system as well as a level of the anesthetic propofol typical of a patient undergoing major surgery. The very potent drug, also known as Diprivan, is administered intravenously as a general anesthetic used to sedate patients for surgery and is only available to medical personnel. This drug is only used as an anesthetic agent for surgery. It works very quickly, usually in 30 seconds, to knock out a patient.
This drug sounds as scary as another strong pain medication/anesthetic, Fentanyl. There have been several cases of death following unsupervised Fentanyl use in the recent news. While fentanyl was not used during the unfortunate passing of Michael Jackson, the severity of the issue should not be ignored. The accidental usage of fentanyl can be deadly without proper medical administration and supervision.
Celebrities often receive treatment in their homes that most people can only receive in hospitals or other medical facilities. This does not mean that medication errors only happen at home, they can happen anywhere that prescriptions are made. This horrible tragedy proves that anyone can be a victim of medical malpractice. If you or a loved one have been injured or killed by medical malpractice or medication errors, you should contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney to fight for the compensation you deserve.
The experienced attorneys at Shapiro, Washburn, & Sharp will fight your case relentlessly. If we don’t win, you don’t pay. Contact us for a free case consultation.